Thursday, October 18, 2007

Why?????

Well I was talking to my boyfriend about the commune type of community, and he does not understand why I would want to live in one. He seems to think it is just because I do not want to move away from John and Katie Russell.

Where this may be part of the idea, it is certainly not all of the issue. I want to live with like minded people whom I can have open conversations with and I would almost never be alone (I hate being alone). In fact, it is sad, but I do not even do well when I am up and everyone else is asleep! However, that is not the entire reason either. I do not even know why I want this.

Every time I think of the commune, I want it. There is not really a strong explanation. So I ask all of you... why do you want it????

3 comments:

John R.P. Russell said...

Some amount of solitude is important in the spiritual life.

"But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you" (Mat. 6: 6).

Monks, who live in community, also have their cells.

Celibacy is the higher calling because it makes one more alone with God. Those not called to celibacy must still spend such time as they are able alone with God.

Dusty M Brahlek said...

Ya, I am not so good with that part. I don't like crazyness nor do I like extended stillness...

David said...

I can quote no scripture for my reasons, and truthfully they are not entirely religious in nature, except that they are such things as lead to a joyful natural life, which would be as little burdened as possible with the self-centeredness of our modern lifestyles.

There is a loneliness to private ownership and to going about one's daily tasks only for oneself. I have no desire always to be working for my own benefit, but would enjoy working for a common good. This is done in a family, of course, but I think that men are meant to live and share in a greater community. Perhaps what I really want is to live in a very active parish--as in fact St. Boniface provides to a limited degree in Lafayette--although I would also like a smaller group for day-to-day living. And again, there were the roots of such a community at St. Boniface in the few blocks around the church.

Maybe I don't want a commune--I just want a neighborhood of friends who spend time with each other regularly and are committed to raising good families together.