Thursday, October 4, 2007

beginning members?

Besides the five of us who are members of this blog, who else do we have in mind as potential members of the community? I have a handful of friends who I am considering, but I don't think many of them would be willing to give up independent living (that is, either they wouldn't be willing, or their spouses wouldn't). There are a number of St. Boniface parishioners who might consider joining. I would love to include the the Neuliebs and the Smiths (Laura and Dan will be married soon), if they were interested. And from among the Blue Jacket group, I can imagine Christian Meadows considering it--a potential celibate!--but maybe no one else. We could also talk to the Schafers and their spouses.

It is sad to think of the people who may never be able to join--whether because of religion or inability to take on a communal lifestyle. I shouldn't just say inability, however; many may have no desire to live such a life and have good reasons for it.

But how many people do we know who might be interested?

7 comments:

John R.P. Russell said...

I'm not certain I know anyone else who would do such a thing. If it were associated with the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic Church in general or St. Athanasius in particular, I believe some of my fellow parishioners would be interested. Otherwise, not.

This being said, I am not particularly discouraged. It is a rare way of life. Even a small community has many merits. Certainly, not all the things we hope for can be obtained by such a small community, but some can.

All things are in God's hands at all times.

John R.P. Russell said...

Dixon?

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I am not sure if I am at all concerned who is not with us. I am concerned about who is with us. I feel the more we have the less chance of it working well. I have a very low opinion of groups of people. Too many are too selfish (I am included in this group).

I know people who like this idea for a way of life, but not the Catholic part! I guess no one (including my boyfriend) will be joining us from my camp.

To start I think no more than a group of 10 could really be manageable (too many cooks in the kitchen). With that said, I do think that once it is started more will enjoy the idea than before it is started.

John R.P. Russell said...

I have invited Dixon to contribute to this blog. If any other contributors have anyone they want me to invite, just let me know.

David said...

If Chris ever replies to the e-mail I sent him a couple of days ago, I will know whether his address is correct, and if it is, I will send it to you.

If we are okay with starting this thing out on a very small scale, how soon is everyone interested in beginning. I'll have a PhD in five or six years--which would be useful if we start a school, as well as being useful for the education of our children, since I expect my Greek and Latin will be very good by then. Monica and I should be out of debt by then, too, if we can maintain our current frugality and work schedule. In fact, I think I'll post on that very subject right now...

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I think we can start planning very soon (as I speak and have no clue what I am doing in the next year or so!). With timming soonish John should be looking into going to the seminary... So that will also take a few years. I am not so sure if we can make a "move-in" date any time soon.

I personally have A LOT of student loans and debt to clear first. :( But I am all for the hard work.

David said...

I'm right there with you on the debt (there's a ton between Monica and me), but am now committed to clearing it as quickly as I can. I'd say five years is a reasonable timeframe before we make the first purchase. If we are still interested then, we will know that we have a strong commitment to the project.