Monday, September 17, 2007

The Common Vocation

This weekend I presented the idea of living in community to my family. My sister seemed ambivalent. She gave the example of a holy family (the Zaks) living in the world amongst those that need them as an ideal.

I do not believe that everyone is called to communal life. Missionaries are necessary. Though the apostles founded communities, they often did not live in them themselves, being wanderers.

It strikes me, however, that communal life may be the more common vocation (note the pun), as opposed to the missionary or the hermitic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we wouldn't have any less impact on the outside world than those living outside of community. Our presence would be noted, and if we appeared happy and good, then our beliefs might very well be admired.

Not to the mention, your sister's statement makes it sound like we would be locked away from the world. I personally do not envision such extreme ascetism.